Select Page
Do you need some help?

The quickest way to reach us is to contact us through the contact form on the website.

310 Old Santa Fe Trail,
Santa Fe NM 87501


What is the function of the Surface Resources Division?

Surface Resources manages programs dealing with watershed health, site remediation, illegal dumping, prescribed fire, wildlife management, cultural resources, agricultural leasing, and outdoor recreation. The staff supports other State Land Office divisions with field reviews and data analysis for programs including rights-of-way, minerals management, oil and gas frontier nominations, business leases and land exchanges.

How can I lease state trust land?

Contact the appropriate division for the type of lease you want: Oil & Gas and MineralsAgricultural or Commercial.

Where can I hunt on state trust land?

Access to State Trust Land for the purpose of hunting is granted under an easement between the Department of Game and Fish and the New Mexico State Land Office. For more information about hunting on State Trust Land, please see our Recreational Access page. For more information on the general rules and regulations pertaining to hunting in the State of New Mexico, please visit the New Mexico Department of Game & Fish.

Can I cross private land to hunt state trust land?

You may cross private land ONLY with written permission from the landowner (s).

Can I camp on state trust land?

Camping is allowed on trust land either with the written permission of the surface lessee or under the terms of the State Land Office’s easement agreement with the New Mexico Department of Game & Fish, here. To determine lessee and contact information, please contact Craig Johnson at 505-827-1245.

Who do I contact if I encounter a locked gate on state trust land during hunting season?

Under the Game and Fish easement, during hunting season, state trust land that is accessible by public road is open for hunting. If you encounter a locked gate on state trust land included that you think should be open, please contact the nearest District Resource Manager, here.

How can I find out who is leasing a particular piece of state trust land for agricultural purposes?<br />

Visit the State Land Office data access web page and enter the section, township, and range, or lease number. If you do not have this information, or if you need assistance finding out if a section of land is leased for agricultural purposes, contact: 505-827-5732.

Join the mailing list

Sign up for updates